I want to install a water line for an icemaker refrigerator I'm about to purchase. My home is on top of a concrete slab so I don't have a basement. I was able to locate the nearest water line, which comes from my outdoor faucet that is inside a wall right next to the refrigerator. I have an underground sprinkler system attached to the outdoor faucet. It has a shutoff valve located in the bathroom that is about 15-20 feet away from where I need to install the water line for the refrigerator. I turn this valve off during the winter to prevent the underground sprinkler lines from freezing. If I install a water line for the refrigerator, turning this valve off in the winter will also turn the water supply to the refrigerator off as well. What do I need here, another shutoff valve at the refrigerator? Are the water supply kits that come with the refrigerators any good? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
You will need to tap off the outdoor water pipe before the shut-off to the outdoor faucet and sprinklers.Is your bath on the other side of the back of the refrige?The supply to this shut-off probably runs in the wall or ceiling right behind the refrige.Once you find the pipe,I believe the directions that come with the tap hardware will be self- explanatory.If your plumbing is as I picture,there will be a hot water line in the wall as well,make sure you know for sure which pipe you're tapping!
The shutoff for the sprinkler exists in a closet in the bathroom, which is after the refrigerator. The order is, outdoor faucet, water line into the house that bypasses the refrigerator, then the shutoff valve. I'm thinking if I install a shutoff valve immediately after the outdoor faucet, it will allow me to shutoff the water to the outside and I can use the existing valve for the refrigerator?
Hmmm,I pictured this differently but it sounds like you have a handle on it.Just out of curiosity,did you consider tapping off the cold water line to your kitchen sink?You can easily run copper tubing through cabinets if the sink is closer.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes