Toilet Keeps Running!
We have to turn the valve off (especially at night) to stop the water from running. Any advice would be truly appreciated! Thanks!
If this is not the problem, you might determine the cause by observation.
Again, when it's running, remove the cover and lift up on the float. Did that stop it?
If so, make sure the float is not dragging on the inside of the tank. If it's not dragging, but you can stop the running by lifting up on the float, then replace the valve and float assembly.
If lifting up on the float didn't stop it, and the flapper isn't the culprit, that just leaves the seal between the tank and the bowl. If this, or something else is failing, I'd expect some leakage onto the floor. Got any of that?
Slit (lengthwise) a 1.5-inch section of a plastic straw and slip it over the chain that connects to flapper. Rigid straw section will keep chain from hanging up under flapper.
Take a small (2 inch by 2 inch) piece of aluminum foil and slide as much of it as you can between the float pivot and the flow valve. [The float is attached to a metal rod, the metal rod fits into the pivot mechanism and as the water rises so does the float moving the rod down at the pivot point closing the flow valve. After years of use there is wear on the plunger that the pivot operates on; the aluminum foil takes up the slack.]
Have you tried putting some food coloring in the tank to see if it gets into the bowl?
That should bring all your toilet problems to a quick halt.
As a normal part of installing even a brand new toilet, the first thing I do is take out and throw away the ballcock that came with it and replace it with a Fluidmaster.
Been doing this for years and it's saved me many future problems. Adds about $8 or less to the cost of the toilet. Cheap insurance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps