We are on a septic system with a community well. Anytime, anyone uses water on our circle, we can hear the water pump which makes a loud whooshing noise and then a ka-thunk when it's finished. The maintenance man for the well house replaced a broken piece on the well and I also had a water pressure tank installed, as suggested by the builder, to act as a buffer for the water pressure. It has helped some but it's still too loud in my opinion. Other homes on my circle don't have this problem. Any thoughts??
I don't have any answers but a couple of questions come to mind. Are you the closest one to the well house, or are others just as close? Do you hear this noise from anywhere in the house or only where there is plumbing, such as bathroom and kitchen?
We are as close as everyone else - approximately 120-150 feet from the well. Prior to installing the pressure tank, the noise was heard throughout the house, the loudest being in the bathrooms and our bedroom. Since installation, it's confined to where the water enters the house under the main bedroom via the crawlspace which is where the pressure tank is located. Originally, I said the noise was a whooshing sound. If it matters, its more of a humming and buzzing sound with a ka-thunk when its finished. Thanks for responding.
Do the lights dim or anything when the well pump goes on? My parents' house has a similiar problem and apparently, it's a lack of power. There's been so much build up around the area that the power lines aren't delivering enough power to the house.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects