My toilet tank is so close to the wall that I cannot paint behind it with a mini-roller. How do I drain the water and remove the tank? Thank you.
Are you sure you want to remove the tank just to paint behind it? Reason I ask is that plumbing fixtures tend to leak when disturbed. That said, drain tank by turning off water supply - normally at line where it exits from wall. These shutoffs also tend to not turn off all the way if old but give it a shot. Then flush toilet, and hold flapper valve open to allow most water to flush. Check that no water is entering tank. Some water will remain in tank and you will have to remove that by sponge or rag. After all water is out, remove water line just below tank. There should be two bolts holding tank to toilet. If the heads have screw slots (inside tank), use large screwdriver to hold them while removing the nuts below tank. Then just lift takk upwards to remove. Paint and reinstall.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!