PVC installation question
We recently hired a plumber to replace a lot of the old plumbing in our house. The main stack was the original cast iron. The plumber claimed to have cracked a portion of it and, as a result, replaced a large section (maybe 10 to 12 feet) running between the first floor and attic with PVC. The old pipe in this area had a bend in it. The new PVC was installed without bends, but sits instead at a slight angle to the cast iron pipe it joins on either end, maybe 3 to 4 degrees. (Does this make sense?) This concerns me -- I can't believe the seal can be as good, and my ignorant feeling is that two pieces of joined pipe ought to be aligned straight to each other, rather than forcing the joint at angles. The plumbing contractor swears up and down that it's fine. Is he right? Is this up to code? Should I be concerned about strength or leaks at the joint?
If it is only tilted a few degrees this will not be a problem. The plumber probably used a primer and cement which will fuse the two together and prevent leaks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes