We recently installed a bathroom in the basement of our house. There is a sewer smell coming from the bath tub drain. I did not do the installation, nor was I home when it was completed. What I can tell you is, when I pour some water down the drain the smell does go away for a while, but it always comes back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Was the job 'inspected'.........Drains need vents that take the sewer gasses thru the roof ...........water-filled traps are located beneath each fixture to stop gas from entering the building.............IF NO VENT WAS INSTALLED....or improperly installed ......water rushing thru the drain pipes can pull the water out of the tub-trap and let the gas enter..............Check back with your installation "Plumber"........
IF there is a trap i've heard you can dump a small amount of vegetable oil down the drain to keep the water from evaporating from the trap. This was recommended for drains that don't get used. Now obviously you don't want to do this after your bath every day or your septic field, if you have one, will need to be fixed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes