Hot Water Heater basics
I did finally solve the problem with some help (including yours). After I lit the pilot, I never heard the "vrrrmpph" sound of the pilot lighting the burner like you mentioned. So I narrowed down that was the problem. But after I had lit the pilot, I had turned the temperature knob between warm and hot. But still no 'vrrmph". As it turns out, the outer knob, the one that graphically shows you what temperature you are choosing was not there - and all I was seeing and using was the metal underpiece - which did not accurately show you what temperature I was choosing (it was deceieving becuase it appeared to have a metal arrow on it).
Anyways, we rotated the temperature gage further to the left and sure enough, the burner lit and the water started to heat. My friends only concern was that the heater would not regulate the tempurature very well and would not turn off or the pressure valve would have to release. But everything appears to work OK.
My guess is that this water heater will have to be replaced soon. The date on the unit says 1982 - so its almost 20 years old. How long do these units generally last?
Thanks again - the hot shower was GREAT.
Why would you bother to look at a circuit breaker for a gas fired appliance?
Your heater is either gas or electric If you don't know the very basics you really should call a licensed professional before you cause some real serious damage
Have the LICENSED plumber show you not only how to relight a pilot light you should also know where the main water supply shut off is located along with all the gas valve shut offs and your main sewer traps /clean outs
It depends on the PH of the water, the manufacturer and how well the heater was maintained, using the blow down valve to remove sediment and testing the T&P
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees