Hot Water Heater basics
I did finally solve the problem with some help (including yours). After I lit the pilot, I never heard the "vrrrmpph" sound of the pilot lighting the burner like you mentioned. So I narrowed down that was the problem. But after I had lit the pilot, I had turned the temperature knob between warm and hot. But still no 'vrrmph". As it turns out, the outer knob, the one that graphically shows you what temperature you are choosing was not there - and all I was seeing and using was the metal underpiece - which did not accurately show you what temperature I was choosing (it was deceieving becuase it appeared to have a metal arrow on it).
Anyways, we rotated the temperature gage further to the left and sure enough, the burner lit and the water started to heat. My friends only concern was that the heater would not regulate the tempurature very well and would not turn off or the pressure valve would have to release. But everything appears to work OK.
My guess is that this water heater will have to be replaced soon. The date on the unit says 1982 - so its almost 20 years old. How long do these units generally last?
Thanks again - the hot shower was GREAT.
Why would you bother to look at a circuit breaker for a gas fired appliance?
Your heater is either gas or electric If you don't know the very basics you really should call a licensed professional before you cause some real serious damage
Have the LICENSED plumber show you not only how to relight a pilot light you should also know where the main water supply shut off is located along with all the gas valve shut offs and your main sewer traps /clean outs
It depends on the PH of the water, the manufacturer and how well the heater was maintained, using the blow down valve to remove sediment and testing the T&P
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes