We recently bought our 26 yr old house in May 02. During the storm in Nov(we live in CA) we noticed that water was dripping thru the recessed lighting in the celing so we went up in the attic and saw that the area was inaccessible because a heating duct ran right over the light. We thought probably it was a condensation problem and since we were going out for the weekend we put the heater off and when we came back we did not notice any more water (we had a left a bucket in the spot)than we had seen when we left. We thought that the leak was really a condensation problem.
With the storm last week we got up at 6am in the morning with another area (very close to the recessed light) which was now leaking. We again went up on the attic and this time we could see the water. But it is very diffuclt to see where it is coming from. There is a cricket area right above the area where its leaking (which was fixed by the previous owners in April 02) The repairman said that the problem is probably in the cricket area but he could not say it for sure. We really do not know what to do as we are first time home buyers
Can anyone suggest any advice?
The previous owners probably did not fix the problem since they knew they were selling the house. It could be the crickets in which case you need to remove the nest and have that area re-patched by a roofer. Since the house is 26 years old it may also be time for a new roof - check the other parts of the roof. Check with an electrician - usually recessed lights, while nice, are not recommended.
Kool Seal on Tar & Gravel Roof?
Insulation for Attic Blown or Batts
Condensation in wall pictures and wet wall - roof le...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects