We recently bought our 26 yr old house in May 02. During the storm in Nov(we live in CA) we noticed that water was dripping thru the recessed lighting in the celing so we went up in the attic and saw that the area was inaccessible because a heating duct ran right over the light. We thought probably it was a condensation problem and since we were going out for the weekend we put the heater off and when we came back we did not notice any more water (we had a left a bucket in the spot)than we had seen when we left. We thought that the leak was really a condensation problem.
With the storm last week we got up at 6am in the morning with another area (very close to the recessed light) which was now leaking. We again went up on the attic and this time we could see the water. But it is very diffuclt to see where it is coming from. There is a cricket area right above the area where its leaking (which was fixed by the previous owners in April 02) The repairman said that the problem is probably in the cricket area but he could not say it for sure. We really do not know what to do as we are first time home buyers
Can anyone suggest any advice?
The previous owners probably did not fix the problem since they knew they were selling the house. It could be the crickets in which case you need to remove the nest and have that area re-patched by a roofer. Since the house is 26 years old it may also be time for a new roof - check the other parts of the roof. Check with an electrician - usually recessed lights, while nice, are not recommended.
Kool Seal on Tar & Gravel Roof?
Insulation for Attic Blown or Batts
Condensation in wall pictures and wet wall - roof le...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!