We recently bought our 26 yr old house in May 02. During the storm in Nov(we live in CA) we noticed that water was dripping thru the recessed lighting in the celing so we went up in the attic and saw that the area was inaccessible because a heating duct ran right over the light. We thought probably it was a condensation problem and since we were going out for the weekend we put the heater off and when we came back we did not notice any more water (we had a left a bucket in the spot)than we had seen when we left. We thought that the leak was really a condensation problem.
With the storm last week we got up at 6am in the morning with another area (very close to the recessed light) which was now leaking. We again went up on the attic and this time we could see the water. But it is very diffuclt to see where it is coming from. There is a cricket area right above the area where its leaking (which was fixed by the previous owners in April 02) The repairman said that the problem is probably in the cricket area but he could not say it for sure. We really do not know what to do as we are first time home buyers
Can anyone suggest any advice?
The previous owners probably did not fix the problem since they knew they were selling the house. It could be the crickets in which case you need to remove the nest and have that area re-patched by a roofer. Since the house is 26 years old it may also be time for a new roof - check the other parts of the roof. Check with an electrician - usually recessed lights, while nice, are not recommended.
Kool Seal on Tar & Gravel Roof?
Insulation for Attic Blown or Batts
Condensation in wall pictures and wet wall - roof le...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers