mildew and clogged drain
I have two questions. First one is--- How do i keep mildew off bathroom walls? I have scrubbed with bleach and it disappears but then few weeks later it returns. Question Two--- I have a ranch style home with 2 bathrooms. One bathroom is located in middle of house the second at end of house. When we use the shower or toilet in back bathroom it ends up all over down in basement. My husband thinks it's the main drain but i dont think so. He is using a snake on it now and can get it pretty far down into drain in basement floor. Why is it just the back bathroom thats doing it?? PLEASE HELP SOON
Sounds to me like you may have a joint seperated in that main line and the snake will only make it worse. You'll need to open up the ceiling under the bathroom and inspect the drain pipes.
On the mildew, make sure you have proper ventilation, i.e. vent fan that is vented to the outside, not just to the attic space.
On the drain, if it's leaking in the ceiling, you have a seperated pipe, if it's backing up from a drain that is the lowest drain in the house, it's a main line plug between the home and the sewer.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight