I have been in my home for about 3 months. Just in the last 3 or 4 days when taking a shower and after about 10 minutes I start to hear a hum from the pipes than very shortly after the pipes start to bang very loudly. If I turn on the sink it goes away for a short period than comes back. The only thing I did recently was shut my main off after my basement flooded and I thought it was leaking. It wasn't so (it was from the weather) I turned it back on but without realizing it I only turned it on half way. Thats when the banging started. I then thought about it and checked the valve. I then turned it on all the way and it still happens. I shut the valve and turned on all water sources then turned the valve back on but it still happens.
It is pressure in your water lines. If you would like for it to stop you can call your local plumber and have them install some mini resisters. It takes the pressure off your lines.
My pressure was tested on an outside valve at 80PSI. I have been in my home for approx 3 months and it just started. Is pressure too high and why would this banging just start after the 3 months?
Uniform plumbing code states that a pressure regulator SHALL be installed if pressure is over 80#, (in house). The problem is most likely a loose washer in your shower...I additionally would strongly suggest a regulator...erik
The problem could be what is referred to as "water hammer" which is caused by poorly insalled water pipes. If this is the case, your story of switching off and on the water supply is purely coincidental. However, it is strange that if did not occur in your first 3 months. So I could be barking up the wrong tree. Nevertheless, you might want to do a search for water hammer on the internet and see what comes up. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!