I have been in my home for about 3 months. Just in the last 3 or 4 days when taking a shower and after about 10 minutes I start to hear a hum from the pipes than very shortly after the pipes start to bang very loudly. If I turn on the sink it goes away for a short period than comes back. The only thing I did recently was shut my main off after my basement flooded and I thought it was leaking. It wasn't so (it was from the weather) I turned it back on but without realizing it I only turned it on half way. Thats when the banging started. I then thought about it and checked the valve. I then turned it on all the way and it still happens. I shut the valve and turned on all water sources then turned the valve back on but it still happens.
It is pressure in your water lines. If you would like for it to stop you can call your local plumber and have them install some mini resisters. It takes the pressure off your lines.
My pressure was tested on an outside valve at 80PSI. I have been in my home for approx 3 months and it just started. Is pressure too high and why would this banging just start after the 3 months?
Uniform plumbing code states that a pressure regulator SHALL be installed if pressure is over 80#, (in house). The problem is most likely a loose washer in your shower...I additionally would strongly suggest a regulator...erik
The problem could be what is referred to as "water hammer" which is caused by poorly insalled water pipes. If this is the case, your story of switching off and on the water supply is purely coincidental. However, it is strange that if did not occur in your first 3 months. So I could be barking up the wrong tree. Nevertheless, you might want to do a search for water hammer on the internet and see what comes up. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!