I have been in my home for about 3 months. Just in the last 3 or 4 days when taking a shower and after about 10 minutes I start to hear a hum from the pipes than very shortly after the pipes start to bang very loudly. If I turn on the sink it goes away for a short period than comes back. The only thing I did recently was shut my main off after my basement flooded and I thought it was leaking. It wasn't so (it was from the weather) I turned it back on but without realizing it I only turned it on half way. Thats when the banging started. I then thought about it and checked the valve. I then turned it on all the way and it still happens. I shut the valve and turned on all water sources then turned the valve back on but it still happens.
It is pressure in your water lines. If you would like for it to stop you can call your local plumber and have them install some mini resisters. It takes the pressure off your lines.
My pressure was tested on an outside valve at 80PSI. I have been in my home for approx 3 months and it just started. Is pressure too high and why would this banging just start after the 3 months?
Uniform plumbing code states that a pressure regulator SHALL be installed if pressure is over 80#, (in house). The problem is most likely a loose washer in your shower...I additionally would strongly suggest a regulator...erik
The problem could be what is referred to as "water hammer" which is caused by poorly insalled water pipes. If this is the case, your story of switching off and on the water supply is purely coincidental. However, it is strange that if did not occur in your first 3 months. So I could be barking up the wrong tree. Nevertheless, you might want to do a search for water hammer on the internet and see what comes up. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects