Last week, the tub drain totally stopped functioning. In hopes of avoiding all the agony of tearing into walls, I bailed out the tub, disconnected the drain between the tub and the trap--I could get to that part of the plumbing--and attempted to snake out the trap from the bottom. I did manage to get out a few good clumps of old, smelly, yecky hair. The drain then functioned slowely for a few gallons, but then it stopped again.
In a desparate move, and thoroughly frustrated by now, I dumped a bit over a gallon (two 2.5 quart bottles) of Liquid Plumber into the tub. To my absolute and utter amazement, that worked. The tub drains freely now. I've never in my life had liquid drain cleaner actually work for me. And previous to this I'd dumped an acid-based cleaner down the drain to no-effect, so having Liquid Plumber (which is a base) work was a bit of a shock, but a pleasent shock to be sure.
I relate this story as a way of suggesting that you at least try a liquid drain cleaner first. (Maybe you've done that already) It may not work, but it doesn't cost much, and maybe you'll get lucky like I did.
Oh, and I learned the hard way to wear rubber gloves when you snake a drain. I still have a bit of black gunk under my fingernails. It took a couple days to get my hands clean after that messy work.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love