How to remove & re-install toilet to tile floor ...
Have an old towel or newspapers ready to set the tank and bowl on.
Shut off the water valve at the wall below, left of the tank. Flush the toilet and then use a sponge or rag to get the last bit of water out of the tank. Disconnect the water line from the bottom, left of the tank. Remove the 2 nuts that are holding the tank to the back of the bowl. Lift off the tank and set aside.
Remove remaining water from the bowl. Remove the 2 nuts from the bolts in the floor (on either side of the bowl at floor level- usually covered with plastic caps). Lift the bowl and place carefully on towel or papers.
NOTE: the bottom of the bowl us usually a mess. Be careful how you set it down.
To replace, reverse this procedure.
You might need a new seal for the bottom of the bowl. These are inexpensive - around one dollar if you get the beeswax seal - at any hardware. It is messy. You'll need to clean out some of the old one to make room for the new.
(Also, have you considered a concrete backer?)
As to whether the extra height will prevent the commode from fitting, I think you'll be OK, but maybe others can add more info.
Just make sure the seal doesn't allow any moisture to go anywhere but down the drain. If moisture gets under the bowl, it'll eventually rot the floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!