How to remove & re-install toilet to tile floor ...
Have an old towel or newspapers ready to set the tank and bowl on.
Shut off the water valve at the wall below, left of the tank. Flush the toilet and then use a sponge or rag to get the last bit of water out of the tank. Disconnect the water line from the bottom, left of the tank. Remove the 2 nuts that are holding the tank to the back of the bowl. Lift off the tank and set aside.
Remove remaining water from the bowl. Remove the 2 nuts from the bolts in the floor (on either side of the bowl at floor level- usually covered with plastic caps). Lift the bowl and place carefully on towel or papers.
NOTE: the bottom of the bowl us usually a mess. Be careful how you set it down.
To replace, reverse this procedure.
You might need a new seal for the bottom of the bowl. These are inexpensive - around one dollar if you get the beeswax seal - at any hardware. It is messy. You'll need to clean out some of the old one to make room for the new.
(Also, have you considered a concrete backer?)
As to whether the extra height will prevent the commode from fitting, I think you'll be OK, but maybe others can add more info.
Just make sure the seal doesn't allow any moisture to go anywhere but down the drain. If moisture gets under the bowl, it'll eventually rot the floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!