How to remove & re-install toilet to tile floor ...
Have an old towel or newspapers ready to set the tank and bowl on.
Shut off the water valve at the wall below, left of the tank. Flush the toilet and then use a sponge or rag to get the last bit of water out of the tank. Disconnect the water line from the bottom, left of the tank. Remove the 2 nuts that are holding the tank to the back of the bowl. Lift off the tank and set aside.
Remove remaining water from the bowl. Remove the 2 nuts from the bolts in the floor (on either side of the bowl at floor level- usually covered with plastic caps). Lift the bowl and place carefully on towel or papers.
NOTE: the bottom of the bowl us usually a mess. Be careful how you set it down.
To replace, reverse this procedure.
You might need a new seal for the bottom of the bowl. These are inexpensive - around one dollar if you get the beeswax seal - at any hardware. It is messy. You'll need to clean out some of the old one to make room for the new.
(Also, have you considered a concrete backer?)
As to whether the extra height will prevent the commode from fitting, I think you'll be OK, but maybe others can add more info.
Just make sure the seal doesn't allow any moisture to go anywhere but down the drain. If moisture gets under the bowl, it'll eventually rot the floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love