How to remove & re-install toilet to tile floor ...
Have an old towel or newspapers ready to set the tank and bowl on.
Shut off the water valve at the wall below, left of the tank. Flush the toilet and then use a sponge or rag to get the last bit of water out of the tank. Disconnect the water line from the bottom, left of the tank. Remove the 2 nuts that are holding the tank to the back of the bowl. Lift off the tank and set aside.
Remove remaining water from the bowl. Remove the 2 nuts from the bolts in the floor (on either side of the bowl at floor level- usually covered with plastic caps). Lift the bowl and place carefully on towel or papers.
NOTE: the bottom of the bowl us usually a mess. Be careful how you set it down.
To replace, reverse this procedure.
You might need a new seal for the bottom of the bowl. These are inexpensive - around one dollar if you get the beeswax seal - at any hardware. It is messy. You'll need to clean out some of the old one to make room for the new.
(Also, have you considered a concrete backer?)
As to whether the extra height will prevent the commode from fitting, I think you'll be OK, but maybe others can add more info.
Just make sure the seal doesn't allow any moisture to go anywhere but down the drain. If moisture gets under the bowl, it'll eventually rot the floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers