I am retiling my bathroom floor and need to replace the subfloor to accomodate the new tile.
I removed the toilet and want to start replacing the plywood subfloor, however I'm not sure how to remove the toilet flange so that I can lay the new plywood properly and get a nice tight fit around the drain. The drain pipe appears to be 3" copper Type L (the flange ring also looks to be copper). If this is similar to working with smaller copper supply pipe (which I have experience with), I was thinking I could heat up the "bend" fitting below the subfloor and just pull out the flange once the solder melts. Then I could "resweat" the joint when I want to put the flange back after I'm done. However, I've never worked with pipe this thick and didn't know if I was biting off more than I could chew. Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks for any help.
Use a turbo tip that will do 3-4" copper. If you have a presta-lite outfit, you can buy an adapter that screws into the presta lite torch handle. Go to your plumbing supply and ask them for a "Goss" turbo tip adapter. You will also need to buy the tip, and they are expensive. This tip in question can cost around $40.00 to 50.00. Your regular propane handheld tank is not going to generate enough temperature for this type of job. The turbo tips can generate temps of 2500 degrees F, so make sure you wear thick heavy gloves, and most important safety glasses.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!