My home has a private well with a 3HP motor. The pressure switch is a 40/60 switch. Every time a faucet is turned on the pressure switch immediately turns on and remains running the entire time that the faucet is open. Is this normal? Also, I am wanting to install a lawn sprinkler system. In the past I have attempted to run 4-5 rain bird sprinklers but my water pressure drops to below 20 psi. This makes the water pressure in the house very low. How can I increase the water pressure to allow me to run a sprinkler system? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What size pressure tank do you have? Sounds like it's too small and requires the pump to operate anytime water is demanded. I'm installing a 220 gallon pre-pressurized tank on my new home well system to insure the pump does not have to operate every time. This tank allows about 85 gallons of water consumption before the pump is turned on. Also insures an emergency suppy in the event of electric failure (not unheard of in my area). Also provides a smoother supply of water.
The switch can easily be checked, by opening a faucet. Look at the gauge, and wait until the pressure drops. The pump should then come on activated by the low limit. Have a helper turn off the faucet, while you watch the pressure build back up. When the upper limit is reached, the pump should stop. If it does not, or if it cuts out at too high a pressure, then you have a problem condition. Obviously if the pressure gauge is broken, you can't perform this test.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!