This may seem like a very simple question but I need it answered to settle and arguement. Our water bill seeems to be going up and up. Our rates have not increased (we are on metered H2O). We have checked for leaks everywhere and our personal usage has not increased. What I am wondering is can a toilet that runs cause a noticable increase in water usage? There are no leaks under sinks, house, and faucets. But the toilet sweats constantly and it does run almost 27/7. Suggestions.
Toilets can use a very large amount of water. Check your meter when you have everything turned off. You should not see any motion of the dial. If the meter is at the curb, the leak could be underground and you would not even know it.
Toilet condensation is normal, and would not run up your bill. If you suspect a leaky toilet, install new flappers. A good flapper available is the KORKY flapper. It cost's around $3.00-$4.00. If you think the leak is underground, call your water utility, and ask them to "listen" for a leak at your curb stop. They will know how to do this. If you call a plumber for this service, expect to pay $65.00 to $75.00. Good Luck !
New Kit Installed by Plumber, but Toilet Sounds Like...
Toilet Bowl Water Disappearing
toilet bowl water decreases
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!