This may seem like a very simple question but I need it answered to settle and arguement. Our water bill seeems to be going up and up. Our rates have not increased (we are on metered H2O). We have checked for leaks everywhere and our personal usage has not increased. What I am wondering is can a toilet that runs cause a noticable increase in water usage? There are no leaks under sinks, house, and faucets. But the toilet sweats constantly and it does run almost 27/7. Suggestions.
Toilets can use a very large amount of water. Check your meter when you have everything turned off. You should not see any motion of the dial. If the meter is at the curb, the leak could be underground and you would not even know it.
Toilet condensation is normal, and would not run up your bill. If you suspect a leaky toilet, install new flappers. A good flapper available is the KORKY flapper. It cost's around $3.00-$4.00. If you think the leak is underground, call your water utility, and ask them to "listen" for a leak at your curb stop. They will know how to do this. If you call a plumber for this service, expect to pay $65.00 to $75.00. Good Luck !
New Kit Installed by Plumber, but Toilet Sounds Like...
Toilet Bowl Water Disappearing
toilet bowl water decreases
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?