First, make sure you're talking apples and apples w/your Plumber. See Construct A French Drain for a description of a French Drain.
Maybe he's talking about a clogged sump pump drain pipe. Maybe he's talking about a French Drain that 'runs' the perimeter of the foundation. Maybe, just MAYBE, you can save yourself a lot of $$$ by doing the following.
During the next sustained rainstorm, don your boots, raincoat, and umbrella, and do a COMPLETE walk around your home, looking UP at the roofline as well as at the ground. See if you can improve your drainage by improving the landscaping around your foundation. 1/4" per foot (for 3 feet) is the recommended MINIMUM slopage (and distance) you should have for drainage around your home. The more slopage (and the more distance), the better. (For example, 1" per foot for 3' is better than 1/4" per foot for 3' ...) Also, look to see if your gutters are leaking. Look to see if gutters are MISSING where water is running off of the roof. Be sure your downspouts are extended a MINIMUM of 3' from the foundation, and that water isn't running BACK towards the foundation. (We're back to minimum slopage and distances again ...) Once you install missing gutters, fix leaks, fix slopage, and extend your downspouts, if you still have water problems, you have more work to do.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
[This message has been edited by Jay J (edited May 28, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates