You need to sand the old pipe clean, so it's shiny. Wipe it dry. IF ANY WATER is finding its way to your joint, your seal will never seal. Try emptying the line from below, and perhaps even blowing air from the bathroom, out to drainpoint below. One trick is to 'stuff' a rolled up ball of white bread (not crust) into the old pipe, and push it about 3' down. If water were to be drawn towards the heated pipe, the bread will absorbe the water, expand, and prevent the water from making its way to the heated part of the pipe. Then, when you're finished, the bread will be pushed out and disolve under pressure.
Also, I flux both the old pipe AND the inside of the joint/fitting.
You're suppose to heat the joint, NOT the old pipe. You want the heat from the joint to 'transfer' to the old pipe, not the other way around.
Roll yourself a 'hook-shaped' piece of solder. Evenly heat around the joint. DON'T try to melt the solder directly. Let the heat from the pipe melt the solder. Heat the pipe, then touch the pipe w/the solder. Heat the pipe, then touch. Repeat until the solder starts to melt on the pipe. Make sure you run the solder all the way AROUND the pipe! That's the purpose of making the hook in the hard solder. (The hook allows you to get to the back side of the joint.)
Get a book and good luck! Father's Day is coming. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them