You need to sand the old pipe clean, so it's shiny. Wipe it dry. IF ANY WATER is finding its way to your joint, your seal will never seal. Try emptying the line from below, and perhaps even blowing air from the bathroom, out to drainpoint below. One trick is to 'stuff' a rolled up ball of white bread (not crust) into the old pipe, and push it about 3' down. If water were to be drawn towards the heated pipe, the bread will absorbe the water, expand, and prevent the water from making its way to the heated part of the pipe. Then, when you're finished, the bread will be pushed out and disolve under pressure.
Also, I flux both the old pipe AND the inside of the joint/fitting.
You're suppose to heat the joint, NOT the old pipe. You want the heat from the joint to 'transfer' to the old pipe, not the other way around.
Roll yourself a 'hook-shaped' piece of solder. Evenly heat around the joint. DON'T try to melt the solder directly. Let the heat from the pipe melt the solder. Heat the pipe, then touch the pipe w/the solder. Heat the pipe, then touch. Repeat until the solder starts to melt on the pipe. Make sure you run the solder all the way AROUND the pipe! That's the purpose of making the hook in the hard solder. (The hook allows you to get to the back side of the joint.)
Get a book and good luck! Father's Day is coming. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes