I am going to remove the carpet from my stairs and I would like to stain them to match my laminate flooring. There are some holes in the treads from the tack strip that held the carpet in place. If I fill these with wood filler will they stain at all or will they look like they were filled with putty? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this to minimize the appearance of these holes?
Don't use wood filler. It never stains the same colors as the wood. What you need to no is after staining and applying the poly, use a wood putty that is color matched to your stain. You may not even have to fill all of the holes with putty. I recently did my stairs and used a medium oak stain. Most of the nail holes visually disappeared. Just my 2000 cents.
Thanks for the suggestion. The wood laminate we are using is beech, and I have no idea what type of wood the stairs are-I assume some kind of hardwood but I could be wrong. After closer inspection I think that I may just be able to sand the steps and apply a poly, the colour seems pretty close to the same tone as the flooring.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!