I am going to remove the carpet from my stairs and I would like to stain them to match my laminate flooring. There are some holes in the treads from the tack strip that held the carpet in place. If I fill these with wood filler will they stain at all or will they look like they were filled with putty? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this to minimize the appearance of these holes?
Don't use wood filler. It never stains the same colors as the wood. What you need to no is after staining and applying the poly, use a wood putty that is color matched to your stain. You may not even have to fill all of the holes with putty. I recently did my stairs and used a medium oak stain. Most of the nail holes visually disappeared. Just my 2000 cents.
Thanks for the suggestion. The wood laminate we are using is beech, and I have no idea what type of wood the stairs are-I assume some kind of hardwood but I could be wrong. After closer inspection I think that I may just be able to sand the steps and apply a poly, the colour seems pretty close to the same tone as the flooring.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!