I am going to remove the carpet from my stairs and I would like to stain them to match my laminate flooring. There are some holes in the treads from the tack strip that held the carpet in place. If I fill these with wood filler will they stain at all or will they look like they were filled with putty? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this to minimize the appearance of these holes?
Don't use wood filler. It never stains the same colors as the wood. What you need to no is after staining and applying the poly, use a wood putty that is color matched to your stain. You may not even have to fill all of the holes with putty. I recently did my stairs and used a medium oak stain. Most of the nail holes visually disappeared. Just my 2000 cents.
Thanks for the suggestion. The wood laminate we are using is beech, and I have no idea what type of wood the stairs are-I assume some kind of hardwood but I could be wrong. After closer inspection I think that I may just be able to sand the steps and apply a poly, the colour seems pretty close to the same tone as the flooring.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?