I am going to remove the carpet from my stairs and I would like to stain them to match my laminate flooring. There are some holes in the treads from the tack strip that held the carpet in place. If I fill these with wood filler will they stain at all or will they look like they were filled with putty? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this to minimize the appearance of these holes?
Don't use wood filler. It never stains the same colors as the wood. What you need to no is after staining and applying the poly, use a wood putty that is color matched to your stain. You may not even have to fill all of the holes with putty. I recently did my stairs and used a medium oak stain. Most of the nail holes visually disappeared. Just my 2000 cents.
Thanks for the suggestion. The wood laminate we are using is beech, and I have no idea what type of wood the stairs are-I assume some kind of hardwood but I could be wrong. After closer inspection I think that I may just be able to sand the steps and apply a poly, the colour seems pretty close to the same tone as the flooring.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes