Regulating water flow in a shower/tub
I have a new house with a combination shower/tub that when the water is turned on it's on high. Is there a way to set it to adjust water flow without changing the entire unit. I unscrewd the plastic knob but and removed two plastic pieces and thus the cartrige is showing but only see that it turns left or right and not in and out too adjust the flow of the water. Any help is greatly appriciated. The wife wants to take a long bath and have the hot water trickel out keeping the water warm all the time like we had at the old house.
What you removed is the temperature limit stops that prevent scalding from too hot water. The in and out motion of the cartridge itself controls the flow. If it's stiff or you get just full pressure on, then completely off, try removing the cartridge and applying a heat proof grease (commonly called plumber's grease) This may help control the water flow better. Don't forget to shut-off the water supply at the valves behind the tub, and don't lose the retaining clip that holds the catridge in place under water pressure. Hope this helps some...Good Luck.
Thanks but my next question is the cartriges themselves what controls the water flow. For I took off the plastic down to the cartridge which looks like it would then give my knob the abillity to move in and out but it doesn't so I would then have to replace just the cartridge to be able to adjust the water flow I'm hoping. See I need one than goes in and out along with the left & right.
The key is to identify the brand name. It sounds like a Moen Cartridge. This would be stamped somewhere on the plastic knob or the chrome ring. If your not sure take the whole thing to a plumbing supply house. They will match it up for you.
Hot water handle in the bathtub slowly turns by itself
Low Hot Water Pressure in Shower Head & Faucet
Huge Shower Problems, HELP!
Only hot water in shower
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love