Ok, my wife put spinach down the disposal and the sink is now clogged. When we used the disposal to try and clear the clog, water shot out from the vent pipe under the sink. Fyi, our sink has one of those special vent pipes that does not run up through the roof, but is contained under the sink. Drain-o did not work, should I try snaking it down through the disposal opening before I call in a plumber? It's a double bowl sink with the smaller bowl on the left with the disposal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Try plunging 1st. Block the one sink that the disposal is not connected to with a stopper. Fill the sink half way and plunge away with a half decent plunger. You may have to hold a damp rag over the air gap. If all else fails then electric snake may be your answer. Look in yellow pages under "drain cleaners" Should cost you no more then $75.00 to clear the drain. Post back and let us know the outcome. Happy holiday's.......plumber tom
I'll give that a try. I will definitely need to hold something over the AAV, because a significant amount of water was spraying from it when I attempted to use the disposal. Can I try a regular snake before I call someone in? If so, would I snake it down through the disposal or would I need to take apart the pipes to access the clog.
Is the trap the lowest bend in the pipe? It's PVC, so will I have to use some special adhesive to get the trap back on? What I mean is, I can't just screw the trap back on like if it were copper, right?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers