Ok, my wife put spinach down the disposal and the sink is now clogged. When we used the disposal to try and clear the clog, water shot out from the vent pipe under the sink. Fyi, our sink has one of those special vent pipes that does not run up through the roof, but is contained under the sink. Drain-o did not work, should I try snaking it down through the disposal opening before I call in a plumber? It's a double bowl sink with the smaller bowl on the left with the disposal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Try plunging 1st. Block the one sink that the disposal is not connected to with a stopper. Fill the sink half way and plunge away with a half decent plunger. You may have to hold a damp rag over the air gap. If all else fails then electric snake may be your answer. Look in yellow pages under "drain cleaners" Should cost you no more then $75.00 to clear the drain. Post back and let us know the outcome. Happy holiday's.......plumber tom
I'll give that a try. I will definitely need to hold something over the AAV, because a significant amount of water was spraying from it when I attempted to use the disposal. Can I try a regular snake before I call someone in? If so, would I snake it down through the disposal or would I need to take apart the pipes to access the clog.
Is the trap the lowest bend in the pipe? It's PVC, so will I have to use some special adhesive to get the trap back on? What I mean is, I can't just screw the trap back on like if it were copper, right?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!