Ok, my wife put spinach down the disposal and the sink is now clogged. When we used the disposal to try and clear the clog, water shot out from the vent pipe under the sink. Fyi, our sink has one of those special vent pipes that does not run up through the roof, but is contained under the sink. Drain-o did not work, should I try snaking it down through the disposal opening before I call in a plumber? It's a double bowl sink with the smaller bowl on the left with the disposal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Try plunging 1st. Block the one sink that the disposal is not connected to with a stopper. Fill the sink half way and plunge away with a half decent plunger. You may have to hold a damp rag over the air gap. If all else fails then electric snake may be your answer. Look in yellow pages under "drain cleaners" Should cost you no more then $75.00 to clear the drain. Post back and let us know the outcome. Happy holiday's.......plumber tom
I'll give that a try. I will definitely need to hold something over the AAV, because a significant amount of water was spraying from it when I attempted to use the disposal. Can I try a regular snake before I call someone in? If so, would I snake it down through the disposal or would I need to take apart the pipes to access the clog.
Is the trap the lowest bend in the pipe? It's PVC, so will I have to use some special adhesive to get the trap back on? What I mean is, I can't just screw the trap back on like if it were copper, right?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects