Recently our hot water pipes have started a loud and persistent vibrating after shutting off an upstairs hot water tap. It seems the only way of stopping the noise is to open a downstairs tap slightly. The problem can usually be avoided if the upstairs tap is closed slowly rather than suddenly. The problem seems to be getting worse. Can anyone suggest what i should do.
Yes, check the washer in the stem of the faucet in question. It's very possible the brass bibb screw has loosened and the washer may not be seating right in the bibb of the stem.
I was just wondering if you are still having the same problem? Our pipes started ticking a couple of days ago. It would last a few minutes a couple times through the day. I noticed that if I turned on any tap in the house slightly the ticking would stop. The water heater is in my daughter's room. I'm wondering if I'll need to go into the wall to fix the problem. Any suggestions before the ticking drives me crazy?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!