Recently our hot water pipes have started a loud and persistent vibrating after shutting off an upstairs hot water tap. It seems the only way of stopping the noise is to open a downstairs tap slightly. The problem can usually be avoided if the upstairs tap is closed slowly rather than suddenly. The problem seems to be getting worse. Can anyone suggest what i should do.
Yes, check the washer in the stem of the faucet in question. It's very possible the brass bibb screw has loosened and the washer may not be seating right in the bibb of the stem.
I was just wondering if you are still having the same problem? Our pipes started ticking a couple of days ago. It would last a few minutes a couple times through the day. I noticed that if I turned on any tap in the house slightly the ticking would stop. The water heater is in my daughter's room. I'm wondering if I'll need to go into the wall to fix the problem. Any suggestions before the ticking drives me crazy?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!