There seems to be a constant bad smell coming from my toilet? Could there be a blockage?
All toilets have intregal traps built in. The bad smell may be sewer gases or sometimes from disinfecting chlorine tablets used in the toilet tank. Does the toilet flush properly? What about the tub and sink? Usually these fixtures are connected to the same vent stack.
Thanks, Tom. Perhaps it is sewer gasses as I can smell them both below and behind the toilet as well. I don't use chlorine tablets. And, the toilet flushes properly. So, what do I do for this problem?
The stack may be cracked. hate to be the bearer of bad news, but only way to tell is rip out the wall the stack is enclosed in. Are any other toilets on the same stack? u say u only smell it upstairs? A plumber can do a stack test on the vertical (dry) part of the stack by installing a test plug into the cleanout fitting and filling the stack with water from the roof. What's the age of the plumbing,and is it cast-iron?
Couldn't it just be the wax seal? When I moved into my house last year, the upstairs bathroom smelled of sewer gas. I simply unbolted the toliet and replaced the wax seal underneath. The smell disappeared. (only cost me 1.89 to fix!)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!