There seems to be a constant bad smell coming from my toilet? Could there be a blockage?
All toilets have intregal traps built in. The bad smell may be sewer gases or sometimes from disinfecting chlorine tablets used in the toilet tank. Does the toilet flush properly? What about the tub and sink? Usually these fixtures are connected to the same vent stack.
Thanks, Tom. Perhaps it is sewer gasses as I can smell them both below and behind the toilet as well. I don't use chlorine tablets. And, the toilet flushes properly. So, what do I do for this problem?
The stack may be cracked. hate to be the bearer of bad news, but only way to tell is rip out the wall the stack is enclosed in. Are any other toilets on the same stack? u say u only smell it upstairs? A plumber can do a stack test on the vertical (dry) part of the stack by installing a test plug into the cleanout fitting and filling the stack with water from the roof. What's the age of the plumbing,and is it cast-iron?
Couldn't it just be the wax seal? When I moved into my house last year, the upstairs bathroom smelled of sewer gas. I simply unbolted the toliet and replaced the wax seal underneath. The smell disappeared. (only cost me 1.89 to fix!)
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight