There seems to be a constant bad smell coming from my toilet? Could there be a blockage?
All toilets have intregal traps built in. The bad smell may be sewer gases or sometimes from disinfecting chlorine tablets used in the toilet tank. Does the toilet flush properly? What about the tub and sink? Usually these fixtures are connected to the same vent stack.
Thanks, Tom. Perhaps it is sewer gasses as I can smell them both below and behind the toilet as well. I don't use chlorine tablets. And, the toilet flushes properly. So, what do I do for this problem?
The stack may be cracked. hate to be the bearer of bad news, but only way to tell is rip out the wall the stack is enclosed in. Are any other toilets on the same stack? u say u only smell it upstairs? A plumber can do a stack test on the vertical (dry) part of the stack by installing a test plug into the cleanout fitting and filling the stack with water from the roof. What's the age of the plumbing,and is it cast-iron?
Couldn't it just be the wax seal? When I moved into my house last year, the upstairs bathroom smelled of sewer gas. I simply unbolted the toliet and replaced the wax seal underneath. The smell disappeared. (only cost me 1.89 to fix!)
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers