the water to fill the tank keeps running
any ideas what the problem is? To keep from wasting water we have to shut it off.
Thanks in advance
If it doesn't fill up properly, you should be able to see the flapper and see if it's not seating properly. Maybe the chain attached to the handle is getting in the way, or not allowing the flapper to seal properly? Or, if the tank does fill and then keeps flowing, the float's switch either has dirt in it that prevents it from cutting off, or the float's otherwise not returning to the water flow cutoff level.
As Hammerhead suggested, you can go to one of the home improvement stores (or even Wal-Mart) and buy replacement parts cheaply enough. Fluidmaster makes a standard replacement kit that includes flapper, float mechanism, and chain - it normally runs under $10 - and if you can use small hand tools, you can do it yourself in under 30 minutes. I hope this helps some - regards and good luck! Jim D/Heathsville, VA
Is the toilet running constantly or off and on? Lift the float(the baseball sized thing inside). Hold it to see if this solves the problem. If it did it could be the overflow pipe was cut too low or your float is too high. If you unscrew it that might give you a little leeway or you may have to bend it just a little.
Experts please correct me if I'm giving bad advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!