the water to fill the tank keeps running
any ideas what the problem is? To keep from wasting water we have to shut it off.
Thanks in advance
If it doesn't fill up properly, you should be able to see the flapper and see if it's not seating properly. Maybe the chain attached to the handle is getting in the way, or not allowing the flapper to seal properly? Or, if the tank does fill and then keeps flowing, the float's switch either has dirt in it that prevents it from cutting off, or the float's otherwise not returning to the water flow cutoff level.
As Hammerhead suggested, you can go to one of the home improvement stores (or even Wal-Mart) and buy replacement parts cheaply enough. Fluidmaster makes a standard replacement kit that includes flapper, float mechanism, and chain - it normally runs under $10 - and if you can use small hand tools, you can do it yourself in under 30 minutes. I hope this helps some - regards and good luck! Jim D/Heathsville, VA
Is the toilet running constantly or off and on? Lift the float(the baseball sized thing inside). Hold it to see if this solves the problem. If it did it could be the overflow pipe was cut too low or your float is too high. If you unscrew it that might give you a little leeway or you may have to bend it just a little.
Experts please correct me if I'm giving bad advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!