I am working on a project to build a craps table and need to bend the walls around the corners. The radius of each arc is about 14". I actually got one of the walls up by cutting kerfs into the areas that need to curve and then bending it that way but am looking for an easier way as the last 3 sheets I tried to do this way have snapped or cracked.
I read on a message board that if I soak the wood it will bend easier without cracking. Is this true? I also saw someone say they boiled wood - do you have to boil it or can you just use room temperature water and let it soak?
How long should I let it soak for? Will i still need to cut the kerfs in it or should it bend to that radius without them if it is soaked through?
The sheets I need to soak are about 10" wide by 8' long. My plan to soak them was to get a waterproof tarp and prop it up on the edges and fill with water - I dont know any other way to soak an 8 foot piece.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but some lumber yards have what is called bender board. It comes 3/8" thick, and is specifically designed for this. How thick is the plywood you are trying to bend? I would think you would struggle with anything thicker than 1/4". If your lumber store does not carry the bender board, go to a local cabinet maker shop in your area and have them order it for you. Costs about $40 for a 4' x 8' sheet.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!