I am working on a project to build a craps table and need to bend the walls around the corners. The radius of each arc is about 14". I actually got one of the walls up by cutting kerfs into the areas that need to curve and then bending it that way but am looking for an easier way as the last 3 sheets I tried to do this way have snapped or cracked.
I read on a message board that if I soak the wood it will bend easier without cracking. Is this true? I also saw someone say they boiled wood - do you have to boil it or can you just use room temperature water and let it soak?
How long should I let it soak for? Will i still need to cut the kerfs in it or should it bend to that radius without them if it is soaked through?
The sheets I need to soak are about 10" wide by 8' long. My plan to soak them was to get a waterproof tarp and prop it up on the edges and fill with water - I dont know any other way to soak an 8 foot piece.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but some lumber yards have what is called bender board. It comes 3/8" thick, and is specifically designed for this. How thick is the plywood you are trying to bend? I would think you would struggle with anything thicker than 1/4". If your lumber store does not carry the bender board, go to a local cabinet maker shop in your area and have them order it for you. Costs about $40 for a 4' x 8' sheet.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers