I am working on a project to build a craps table and need to bend the walls around the corners. The radius of each arc is about 14". I actually got one of the walls up by cutting kerfs into the areas that need to curve and then bending it that way but am looking for an easier way as the last 3 sheets I tried to do this way have snapped or cracked.
I read on a message board that if I soak the wood it will bend easier without cracking. Is this true? I also saw someone say they boiled wood - do you have to boil it or can you just use room temperature water and let it soak?
How long should I let it soak for? Will i still need to cut the kerfs in it or should it bend to that radius without them if it is soaked through?
The sheets I need to soak are about 10" wide by 8' long. My plan to soak them was to get a waterproof tarp and prop it up on the edges and fill with water - I dont know any other way to soak an 8 foot piece.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but some lumber yards have what is called bender board. It comes 3/8" thick, and is specifically designed for this. How thick is the plywood you are trying to bend? I would think you would struggle with anything thicker than 1/4". If your lumber store does not carry the bender board, go to a local cabinet maker shop in your area and have them order it for you. Costs about $40 for a 4' x 8' sheet.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects