replacing galvanized + lead pipe???
I Am redong my bathroom and am down to the studs. I found galvanized pipes for the sink drain,vent, and the sink and bathtub drain in bathroom directly above. I even found a lead drain pipe that runs horizontal for about 2 foot then connects to the vertical cast iron pipe that runs straight down the wall into the basement, this lead pipe is for the bathroom toilet above the bathroom I am redoing (so it is above the ceiling I just ripped out.
My question is this: nothing leaks at all currently, so I am not sure if I should maybe replace everything, or maybe just the lead drain pipe, or the galvanized drains?? I am on a tight budget so money is definitely an issue here. These pipes are 55 years old and look to be in decent shape.
One more question.... The galvanized vents only vent gases and air so these are prolly much less likely to fail b/c they don't hosue liquids correct?
Any help on what I Should or should not replace would be extremely helpful!!
thanks in advance,
It's best to replace the lead drains while you have the ceiling ripped out. They will eventually give you a problem. All you have to do is cut the lead, back out the adapter from the tapping on the cast-iron and Install a PVC male adapter and a new section of drain line. As far as the galvanized goes if they are dry just serving as vents you might want to keep them in place. Good luck, in your decision.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide