replacing galvanized + lead pipe???
I Am redong my bathroom and am down to the studs. I found galvanized pipes for the sink drain,vent, and the sink and bathtub drain in bathroom directly above. I even found a lead drain pipe that runs horizontal for about 2 foot then connects to the vertical cast iron pipe that runs straight down the wall into the basement, this lead pipe is for the bathroom toilet above the bathroom I am redoing (so it is above the ceiling I just ripped out.
My question is this: nothing leaks at all currently, so I am not sure if I should maybe replace everything, or maybe just the lead drain pipe, or the galvanized drains?? I am on a tight budget so money is definitely an issue here. These pipes are 55 years old and look to be in decent shape.
One more question.... The galvanized vents only vent gases and air so these are prolly much less likely to fail b/c they don't hosue liquids correct?
Any help on what I Should or should not replace would be extremely helpful!!
thanks in advance,
It's best to replace the lead drains while you have the ceiling ripped out. They will eventually give you a problem. All you have to do is cut the lead, back out the adapter from the tapping on the cast-iron and Install a PVC male adapter and a new section of drain line. As far as the galvanized goes if they are dry just serving as vents you might want to keep them in place. Good luck, in your decision.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs