replacing galvanized + lead pipe???
I Am redong my bathroom and am down to the studs. I found galvanized pipes for the sink drain,vent, and the sink and bathtub drain in bathroom directly above. I even found a lead drain pipe that runs horizontal for about 2 foot then connects to the vertical cast iron pipe that runs straight down the wall into the basement, this lead pipe is for the bathroom toilet above the bathroom I am redoing (so it is above the ceiling I just ripped out.
My question is this: nothing leaks at all currently, so I am not sure if I should maybe replace everything, or maybe just the lead drain pipe, or the galvanized drains?? I am on a tight budget so money is definitely an issue here. These pipes are 55 years old and look to be in decent shape.
One more question.... The galvanized vents only vent gases and air so these are prolly much less likely to fail b/c they don't hosue liquids correct?
Any help on what I Should or should not replace would be extremely helpful!!
thanks in advance,
It's best to replace the lead drains while you have the ceiling ripped out. They will eventually give you a problem. All you have to do is cut the lead, back out the adapter from the tapping on the cast-iron and Install a PVC male adapter and a new section of drain line. As far as the galvanized goes if they are dry just serving as vents you might want to keep them in place. Good luck, in your decision.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!