replacing galvanized + lead pipe???
I Am redong my bathroom and am down to the studs. I found galvanized pipes for the sink drain,vent, and the sink and bathtub drain in bathroom directly above. I even found a lead drain pipe that runs horizontal for about 2 foot then connects to the vertical cast iron pipe that runs straight down the wall into the basement, this lead pipe is for the bathroom toilet above the bathroom I am redoing (so it is above the ceiling I just ripped out.
My question is this: nothing leaks at all currently, so I am not sure if I should maybe replace everything, or maybe just the lead drain pipe, or the galvanized drains?? I am on a tight budget so money is definitely an issue here. These pipes are 55 years old and look to be in decent shape.
One more question.... The galvanized vents only vent gases and air so these are prolly much less likely to fail b/c they don't hosue liquids correct?
Any help on what I Should or should not replace would be extremely helpful!!
thanks in advance,
It's best to replace the lead drains while you have the ceiling ripped out. They will eventually give you a problem. All you have to do is cut the lead, back out the adapter from the tapping on the cast-iron and Install a PVC male adapter and a new section of drain line. As far as the galvanized goes if they are dry just serving as vents you might want to keep them in place. Good luck, in your decision.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Prefab-ulous: 14 Jaw-Dropping Modern Homes
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Why Are "Natural" Swimming Pools Popular?
- 9 Ways of Adding Moldings to Walls
- 1 Dozen Ways to Make the Most of a Small Yard
- 13 Easy Lanterns to Make for Your Porch or Patio
- 12 Expert Tips for a Fantastic Front Yard