replacing galvanized + lead pipe???
I Am redong my bathroom and am down to the studs. I found galvanized pipes for the sink drain,vent, and the sink and bathtub drain in bathroom directly above. I even found a lead drain pipe that runs horizontal for about 2 foot then connects to the vertical cast iron pipe that runs straight down the wall into the basement, this lead pipe is for the bathroom toilet above the bathroom I am redoing (so it is above the ceiling I just ripped out.
My question is this: nothing leaks at all currently, so I am not sure if I should maybe replace everything, or maybe just the lead drain pipe, or the galvanized drains?? I am on a tight budget so money is definitely an issue here. These pipes are 55 years old and look to be in decent shape.
One more question.... The galvanized vents only vent gases and air so these are prolly much less likely to fail b/c they don't hosue liquids correct?
Any help on what I Should or should not replace would be extremely helpful!!
thanks in advance,
It's best to replace the lead drains while you have the ceiling ripped out. They will eventually give you a problem. All you have to do is cut the lead, back out the adapter from the tapping on the cast-iron and Install a PVC male adapter and a new section of drain line. As far as the galvanized goes if they are dry just serving as vents you might want to keep them in place. Good luck, in your decision.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes