When I flush the bathroom toilet and then go to wash my hands at the br sink the water wont turn off....I was dealing with this by washing my hands first THEN flushing the toilet and it wouldnt happen...but yesterday i had forgotten to do my little thing and now the water wont shut off...I had to go under the sink and turn the water valve off(cold water only) the hot doesnt seem to be effected....I am currently unemployed and cannot afford a plumber. One more little tidbit...over this past winter there was a water main break on my block.....and then actually yesterday also a fire hydrant blew apart a block away...could this be a big problem in my area? I am available at [email protected] ....Thanks...Penny
Check the stem thats giving you the problem. Might just be something simple like the washer has dislodged or the seat is worn.
Dear Tom...Where would I find those things? Where would I look for a "stem" and what do I do once I find it..and where do I find a dislodged washer? and you also mentioned the seat? the seat of the toilet ? Im not a dumb a@# I really will try to fix this on my own just need a little help is all...thanks
The stem is underneath the handle. remove the screw that holds the handle on then remove the handle. Older faucets use brass stems. newer faucets have plastic stems, depending on the maker. Take the whole stem to a plumbing supply house so they can match up a new one 4 u. The seat is what the washer sits on and is made of brass. Inspect it with a flashlight. if it's worn or pitted this may explain why the water won't shut -off. You will need a seat removal tool or a large allen wrench might work also. if you have trouble removing the seat, purchase whats called a seat dresser tool. You can grind the seat clean without removing it. post back if you need more help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!