our bathtub leaks from around the base. the house is in California, on a slab. the bathroom floor is tile, the bathtub is enamel on steel. When I drain the tub after a bath, the tub leaks and water follows the grout around the base of the tub and the floor along one wall. This doesn't seem to happen when I take a shower. There is no access panel.
Would it be possible for you to cut-in an access panel? It might help to inspect the drain and water supply lines. Access panels are highly recommended for getting to the shut-off valves if you ever needed to work on the plumbing. Another thing you may want to check is the tub strainer. It should be tight. When you drain the tub after a bath it creates a little pressure on the drain line. This may explain why it's not happening during a shower. There is an inexpensive plumbing tool you can buy to try to tighten up the tub strainer. it's called the smart dumbell (yes that's an oxymoron) Insert the smart dumbell into the cross section of the strainer and try to tighten it. There is also a rubber gasket and friction ring underneath the "shoe" of the tub. This is why an access panel comes in handy. You can alway's locate 2 studs and make one.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight