our bathtub leaks from around the base. the house is in California, on a slab. the bathroom floor is tile, the bathtub is enamel on steel. When I drain the tub after a bath, the tub leaks and water follows the grout around the base of the tub and the floor along one wall. This doesn't seem to happen when I take a shower. There is no access panel.
Would it be possible for you to cut-in an access panel? It might help to inspect the drain and water supply lines. Access panels are highly recommended for getting to the shut-off valves if you ever needed to work on the plumbing. Another thing you may want to check is the tub strainer. It should be tight. When you drain the tub after a bath it creates a little pressure on the drain line. This may explain why it's not happening during a shower. There is an inexpensive plumbing tool you can buy to try to tighten up the tub strainer. it's called the smart dumbell (yes that's an oxymoron) Insert the smart dumbell into the cross section of the strainer and try to tighten it. There is also a rubber gasket and friction ring underneath the "shoe" of the tub. This is why an access panel comes in handy. You can alway's locate 2 studs and make one.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!