I discovered recently, that the house I bought has what I suspect was supposed to be a grey water septic system for the kitchen and laundry.
The drain for the main septic and the grey water were connected and when the main septic backed up, un-beknownst to me, it sent bathroom septic into the grey water system.
This announced itself one day with an absolutely dreadful septic odor near the grey water system.
I diagnosed and solved the blockage in the main system but, now, any time anything goes into the grey water system from the kitchen the dreadful odor appears outside.
The grey water system is very very close to a stream and the environmental regulations in the area that I live are such that I am pretty sure it is against code to continue to use this system.
I have disconnected the grey water system from the drains in the house and plan to monitor it over the next couple months. I may choose to just let the system decay into oblivion. However, this may not be an option. My question is, if I need to have the grey water system removed, what steps should I take to do so?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes