I discovered recently, that the house I bought has what I suspect was supposed to be a grey water septic system for the kitchen and laundry.
The drain for the main septic and the grey water were connected and when the main septic backed up, un-beknownst to me, it sent bathroom septic into the grey water system.
This announced itself one day with an absolutely dreadful septic odor near the grey water system.
I diagnosed and solved the blockage in the main system but, now, any time anything goes into the grey water system from the kitchen the dreadful odor appears outside.
The grey water system is very very close to a stream and the environmental regulations in the area that I live are such that I am pretty sure it is against code to continue to use this system.
I have disconnected the grey water system from the drains in the house and plan to monitor it over the next couple months. I may choose to just let the system decay into oblivion. However, this may not be an option. My question is, if I need to have the grey water system removed, what steps should I take to do so?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!