I discovered recently, that the house I bought has what I suspect was supposed to be a grey water septic system for the kitchen and laundry.
The drain for the main septic and the grey water were connected and when the main septic backed up, un-beknownst to me, it sent bathroom septic into the grey water system.
This announced itself one day with an absolutely dreadful septic odor near the grey water system.
I diagnosed and solved the blockage in the main system but, now, any time anything goes into the grey water system from the kitchen the dreadful odor appears outside.
The grey water system is very very close to a stream and the environmental regulations in the area that I live are such that I am pretty sure it is against code to continue to use this system.
I have disconnected the grey water system from the drains in the house and plan to monitor it over the next couple months. I may choose to just let the system decay into oblivion. However, this may not be an option. My question is, if I need to have the grey water system removed, what steps should I take to do so?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them