I discovered recently, that the house I bought has what I suspect was supposed to be a grey water septic system for the kitchen and laundry.
The drain for the main septic and the grey water were connected and when the main septic backed up, un-beknownst to me, it sent bathroom septic into the grey water system.
This announced itself one day with an absolutely dreadful septic odor near the grey water system.
I diagnosed and solved the blockage in the main system but, now, any time anything goes into the grey water system from the kitchen the dreadful odor appears outside.
The grey water system is very very close to a stream and the environmental regulations in the area that I live are such that I am pretty sure it is against code to continue to use this system.
I have disconnected the grey water system from the drains in the house and plan to monitor it over the next couple months. I may choose to just let the system decay into oblivion. However, this may not be an option. My question is, if I need to have the grey water system removed, what steps should I take to do so?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps