I discovered recently, that the house I bought has what I suspect was supposed to be a grey water septic system for the kitchen and laundry.
The drain for the main septic and the grey water were connected and when the main septic backed up, un-beknownst to me, it sent bathroom septic into the grey water system.
This announced itself one day with an absolutely dreadful septic odor near the grey water system.
I diagnosed and solved the blockage in the main system but, now, any time anything goes into the grey water system from the kitchen the dreadful odor appears outside.
The grey water system is very very close to a stream and the environmental regulations in the area that I live are such that I am pretty sure it is against code to continue to use this system.
I have disconnected the grey water system from the drains in the house and plan to monitor it over the next couple months. I may choose to just let the system decay into oblivion. However, this may not be an option. My question is, if I need to have the grey water system removed, what steps should I take to do so?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs