My main septic line broke at the elbow coming out from the house. The house is was just built a couple of years ago. Apparently the ground settled, pushing the pipe downward enough to break the elbow itself in two.
I replaced the elbow with a new PVC elbow. Since the pipe coming from the house is cemented in place, and I didn't want to dig up and replace the entire septic line, neither pipe will move. I was forced to join the pipes by pushing the connecting collar up fully on one side, and then pulling it back across (half on each pipe).
This made gluing extremely difficult.
Of course, the one joint I got glued well has a very slow leak (like one drop per flush).
I have two questions.
First, should I rip out the PVC elbow, and instead install flexible elbow with stainless clamps in case the ground continues to settle?
If not, should I pack the joints with plumbers epoxy, or use a silicone based caulk (allowing the joint to flex a little).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees