My main line 1-1/4" pvc pipe has separated about 3/16" out from the pvc coupling and is leaking a lot with pressure on. The main line can not be pushed back in & re-glued because it is in the ground. Can I temporarily repair this myself by using a rubber sleeve and C-clamps. I would slit the rubber sleeve length in order to wrap the leaking pipe and apply c-clamps at each end. Will this hold up to the 140psi pressure from the street? Or should I just call the plummber on Monday? Any and all advice accepted! Thanks for reading this!
You need to buy a 1-1/4 slip coupling. The repair is done with the water OFF. You can buy a slip coupling at any plumbing supply, hardware or home improvement center. It is basically a long straight coupling that can be pushed together to fit over the pipes, then spread apart to glue the ends (think accordian). A rubber hub will not usually be leak-tight in a pressure application, but may work. To use the slip coupling, cut out the bad coubling to good pipe, and slip the new coupling in place. When you buy it, ask someone about installation (may be obvious once you see it). Be sure to buy primer and glue.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight