My main line 1-1/4" pvc pipe has separated about 3/16" out from the pvc coupling and is leaking a lot with pressure on. The main line can not be pushed back in & re-glued because it is in the ground. Can I temporarily repair this myself by using a rubber sleeve and C-clamps. I would slit the rubber sleeve length in order to wrap the leaking pipe and apply c-clamps at each end. Will this hold up to the 140psi pressure from the street? Or should I just call the plummber on Monday? Any and all advice accepted! Thanks for reading this!
You need to buy a 1-1/4 slip coupling. The repair is done with the water OFF. You can buy a slip coupling at any plumbing supply, hardware or home improvement center. It is basically a long straight coupling that can be pushed together to fit over the pipes, then spread apart to glue the ends (think accordian). A rubber hub will not usually be leak-tight in a pressure application, but may work. To use the slip coupling, cut out the bad coubling to good pipe, and slip the new coupling in place. When you buy it, ask someone about installation (may be obvious once you see it). Be sure to buy primer and glue.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!