My water pump runs every 15 minutes. With no water being used.
My water pump is located in a pit under ground, along with the pressure tank. All that is in view inside the house is a water "main" pipe coming in to the basement and a master shutoff valve. The rest of the plumbing branches off of the main neatly and all is visable to the eye. There is no lawn sprinkler system. I have gone to each shut off for toilets, 2 outside spigots, sinks, and shut them off. I put dye in the toilets to check for leaks (just in case the shutoffs weren't). I cannot find any leaks in the inside plumbing. I (the pump continues to run)
>>>>>>>When I shut off the main, (where the water first comes into the house) the pump stops running!!!
If you have a bladder or diaphram type tank, use a schrader valve tire gauge on the tank to see if still has it's air charge. While you are in the pit, write down the crucial information about the tank and pump. This will save you a trip down there in the future. Some data to record are : Pump make and model, HP, date installed (if you know it) You can get this info off the plates stamped on the pump and tank.
Is the pressure switch on the pump working?? Check this also, the switch tube might be clogged,leaky,out of adjustment switch or it's junk. H-D's will carry a new one by Square D.It's sweet.Good luck! C.
Sometimes it's worth it to just hire someone to come take a look. Water pump problems can be difficult to figure out. A professional would be able to tell you what the problem is much quicker than you could figure it out. This will enable you to buy a new pump as soon as possible if needed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!