Several weeks ago I had an outside gas leak. The utility co. turned off the gas,repaired the leak and relit my ***** Kenmore gas water heater. Since then my pilot goes out every other day or so. It appears that it works okay until the burner comes on and then when the burner goes out the pilot goes out as well. Never had a problem out of it until the gas leak.It will sometimes stay lit for 2-3 days but eventually it will go out. I'm tired of checking it every day to make sure its lit. I had a Roto Rooter man out but he didn't have a clue what to do. Any suggestions?? Thanks! Gary
Check to see about replacing the thermocoupler.This monitors the flame and keeps the pilot lit.Its the small flex piece of copper that runs from the end of the pilot out to the valve control.
Certainly the thermocouple is the most likely culprit but the gas company made have set your pressure regular lower than it was before. When I replace gas lines with a gas company crew, if we got the regular set too high you could get flames 8" high off a gas range and if they were having pilot problems we might have set it too low.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!