Several weeks ago I had an outside gas leak. The utility co. turned off the gas,repaired the leak and relit my ***** Kenmore gas water heater. Since then my pilot goes out every other day or so. It appears that it works okay until the burner comes on and then when the burner goes out the pilot goes out as well. Never had a problem out of it until the gas leak.It will sometimes stay lit for 2-3 days but eventually it will go out. I'm tired of checking it every day to make sure its lit. I had a Roto Rooter man out but he didn't have a clue what to do. Any suggestions?? Thanks! Gary
Check to see about replacing the thermocoupler.This monitors the flame and keeps the pilot lit.Its the small flex piece of copper that runs from the end of the pilot out to the valve control.
Certainly the thermocouple is the most likely culprit but the gas company made have set your pressure regular lower than it was before. When I replace gas lines with a gas company crew, if we got the regular set too high you could get flames 8" high off a gas range and if they were having pilot problems we might have set it too low.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes