My father/mother-in-law bought a new stove top for their kitchen. When the installer tried to place it in the old opening, he found that it was 1" too large for the countertop. We are going to cut 1/2" off each side of the Corian top but are wondering the best saw to use. I have a Craftsman All-in-one Cutting Tool, can I use it to make the cuts? The saw spins at either 20,000 or 30,000 RPM. Is that too fast? Should I tape the edge where the cut will be so the end doesn't splinter? What type of blade should I use? Will Tungsten Carbide work?
Thank you in advance for your help!
Don't attempt to cut the top with the tool you describe. Use a minimum 2 1/2HP router with a 1/2" collet and a 1/2"straight bit. Clamp a straight edge to the top at both ends to guide the router. You must leave a radius at all four corners or the top will crack from the heat. You also need to ease the top and bottom edges of the cutout and lint the opening with soft aluminum heat tape. If I were you I'd call a Corian fabricator to do the job. If the top is still in warranty you will void it by doing the job yourself.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!