Nope you have an ellipse...
The radius for the 9'6 points is 6'8 5/8 which leaves you 23 5/8" at the center of the arc.
A sq + B sq = C sq the hypontenus theory.
4'9 being A & B leaving 6'8 5/8 for C
6'8 5/8 minus 4'9 at the center leaves 23 5/8" not 17" I think anyway... I could be wrong?
Try putting 2 nails 9'6 apart and let a string droop down to 17" that may be your best way to get your answer.
By the way the tramel Mark speaks of can be made with a 1x4 with a nail for the compass point and another nail to mark out the arc. I do that for arc top windows & even laying out high rise entrance circles... works great for the trim to put two nail on the making end. Gives you both diameters.
Alter Eagle Construction & Design
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!