Nope you have an ellipse...
The radius for the 9'6 points is 6'8 5/8 which leaves you 23 5/8" at the center of the arc.
A sq + B sq = C sq the hypontenus theory.
4'9 being A & B leaving 6'8 5/8 for C
6'8 5/8 minus 4'9 at the center leaves 23 5/8" not 17" I think anyway... I could be wrong?
Try putting 2 nails 9'6 apart and let a string droop down to 17" that may be your best way to get your answer.
By the way the tramel Mark speaks of can be made with a 1x4 with a nail for the compass point and another nail to mark out the arc. I do that for arc top windows & even laying out high rise entrance circles... works great for the trim to put two nail on the making end. Gives you both diameters.
Alter Eagle Construction & Design
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects