Nope you have an ellipse...
The radius for the 9'6 points is 6'8 5/8 which leaves you 23 5/8" at the center of the arc.
A sq + B sq = C sq the hypontenus theory.
4'9 being A & B leaving 6'8 5/8 for C
6'8 5/8 minus 4'9 at the center leaves 23 5/8" not 17" I think anyway... I could be wrong?
Try putting 2 nails 9'6 apart and let a string droop down to 17" that may be your best way to get your answer.
By the way the tramel Mark speaks of can be made with a 1x4 with a nail for the compass point and another nail to mark out the arc. I do that for arc top windows & even laying out high rise entrance circles... works great for the trim to put two nail on the making end. Gives you both diameters.
Alter Eagle Construction & Design
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes