Wow, am I happy I came across this web site while surfing for my toilet problem remedies. Thanks to everyone for all their input. I have 2 Mansfield (5 y/o) toilets, one runs all the time and the other is so hard to flush I'm afraid the handle will break. Being unemployed at this time I've just been 'dealing' with the issues in order to not have to pay costly plumber fees. I'm calling Manfield 1st thing tomorrow-hopefully they'll send me a free seal too! Sounds like even something this try to do it yourself female can tackle!
Thanks everybody for unknowingly helping me!
Thanks for the input. Went to Home Depot, employeer at store also advised cleaning the bottom of the overflow tube. Everything works much better.
No one mentioned any other brands but Mansfield, but I have a Gerber toilet that seems to have the same problem. It's definitely a suction issue. Has anyone had this problem with Gerber's?
Had the same hard flush/suction problem on a 7 year old Mansfield. Both Home Depot and Lowes guys said they never heard of the problem...I should try replacing the whole flush valve. Bought the part, but before going through I thought I'd check the web... SO GLAD!! Turns out that what everyone says here is the fix... just get the red seal for about $2.00 and replace it in about 5 minutes. Maybe I'll call Mansfield and get another seal for when the next one goes. Thanks everybody!
After reading all this data, I called Mansfield Plumbing Customer Service and was more than pleased with their response. Excellent service to resolve the problem.
I received excellent response from Mansfield; they sent me several replacement seals as well as a piece that holds the ball arm. Both were so easy for me to replace myself. I am thankful for this website and the responses from other's that encouraged me to contact Mansfield as well as fix the problems myself with wonderful tips!!
I read thru all the posts and concluded that replacing the red seal at the bottom of the tank would fix the problem. I called Mansfield to see if I too could get my free seal but they were closed. I then took out the seal to see if I could clean or grease it some way to make it stick less. What I ended up doing is turning it over and putting it back in upside down. It works. I will keep an eye on it to see if it leaks, but for now it definitely does not stick as it did. BTW, it has to be the simplest and fastest fix I've ever applied. Thanks for the info on this site.
I have three Mansfield toilets which are 6 years old. Two are used daily and are no problem. One is used only when we have house guests. This one suddenly developed the hard to flush problem. The seal actually stuck to the float and pulled loose. (Better than breaking the handle). I found out that my wife recently put a chlorox type disk in the tank. I am wondering if that is what caused the seal to break down and stick. I removed the seal, turned it over and reinstalled it until I get a new one. It was very much deformed and somewhat sticky.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 26 Easy Painted Halloween Pumpkins
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs