my cold water is lukewarm at best. my hot water is hot. i've been told by both builder and plumber that the reason for this is because the cold and hot water pipes were not wrapped before they were set in concrete slab and are probably touching. i have also been told there's nothing they can do. we've been dealing with this problem and them for 3 years. what can we do? appreciate your reply. thank you. pat schier
One possible cause of this could very well be that you may have a siphon from the very source of your hot water. It could be that your cold water inlet feeding the hot water heater could be drawing some of the hot water back into the cold making this luke warm. This is easy to do since you have a slab home with the lines going back down to the ground. This can create the siphon of hot water back into the cold supply. Pipes touching would not create this problem for the water flows to quick to transfer heat. Add a spring loaded check valve to the cold water inlet to the water heater and this should correct the problem.
all this has been done -- we still have the problem. don't understand why the hot and cold water pipes touching won't make the cold water warm. the water just sits in the pipes until we call for water in the house. how can we correct the problem -- that is how can we separate the pipes that are in the concrete slab or what else can we do to alleviate the problem. we have been working on this for 3 years. thank you. pat schier
First of all I know that it isn't because pipes are touching. The water travels fast on the cold supply and would not have time to transfer heat that fast after a few miutes running. It has to be drawing some hot water from some point. It could be a source like a faucet also. Does the cold water line feeding the heater feel warm to the touch? If so, how far up? If it is transfering heat that way, maybe you would be better off using a piece of cpvc pipe to supply the heater. That would break the heat transfer.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide