I have a Grohe Roman Tub filler that has replacable cartridges which I need to replace. However the cartridges have a nylon extension on top of them that needs to come off first. It is a round cylinder that is screwed on the cartridge and has holes in it that I assume you are supposed to be able to put a small round bar into to be able to unscrew it.
The problems is that the extension tube distorts when I try to unscrew it and I am leery of breaking it. I am looking for any helpful hints (that have worked) on how to get the extensions off so I can replace the cartidges. It is complicated by the fact that only the top 3/4 inche of the tube sticks above the tub deck, 2 1/2 inches of it are below the deck inside the valve casing.
My next step is probably to put some thread oil inside to see if that will free them. I really would like another option as I do not know how the oil will work with nylon threads on a brass cartridge top.
If I break the extension spindle then I really have a problem as it is goes down 3 inches into the valve.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!