I have a Grohe Roman Tub filler that has replacable cartridges which I need to replace. However the cartridges have a nylon extension on top of them that needs to come off first. It is a round cylinder that is screwed on the cartridge and has holes in it that I assume you are supposed to be able to put a small round bar into to be able to unscrew it.
The problems is that the extension tube distorts when I try to unscrew it and I am leery of breaking it. I am looking for any helpful hints (that have worked) on how to get the extensions off so I can replace the cartidges. It is complicated by the fact that only the top 3/4 inche of the tube sticks above the tub deck, 2 1/2 inches of it are below the deck inside the valve casing.
My next step is probably to put some thread oil inside to see if that will free them. I really would like another option as I do not know how the oil will work with nylon threads on a brass cartridge top.
If I break the extension spindle then I really have a problem as it is goes down 3 inches into the valve.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes