09:37PM | 06/22/13
I have a fishy smell in 2 rooms and the hallway of my house. I notice the A/C vents are dripping water and the ceiling is soft near it.


01:43PM | 01/25/14
Fish Smell Problem Solved, look no further! I would like to save you the hours of research I had to spend on resolving my "fish smell" problem coming from my air vents. Know that 9 out of 10 times the strange fish smell is coming from a burning electrical outlet or wire or a circuit somewhere in the house. I know it sounds strange, but I've learned that most electronic shielding and plastic components are made with a certain kind of chemical that makes it high heat resistant. This chemical in the plastic releases a strange "fish" or "urine" smell when it's cooking. I spent hours researching this and found that almost every single person that mentioned the "fish smell" all came to the conclusion that there was a cooking electrical outlet, wire or circuit somewhere in the house. In my case, the odor smelled like a combination of fish and urine. It was horrible. I was convinced that a mouse got into my air ducts and either urinated or died. No one could talk me out of this theory at the time. I read many posts and laughed at the people claiming it was an electrical problem because I'm familiar with the unmistakable odor that comes from burning electronics that has no similarity to fish or urine. Well sure enough, I found the problem. It was a cooking circuit breaker in my circuit board cabinet. Apparently, my central air HVAC system was working extra hard to keep the house warm during a brutal cold front for several days. This caused the circuit breaker to overhead and cook. I had an electrician swap it out for a new one and the smell was gone. Total cost $65.00. Before finding where the smell was coming from, I was ready to spend thousands on exterminators, air-duct cleaning and air-conditioning heating company to service my unit. Wow was I relieved the problem cost me so little. My advice to anyone with the infamous "Fish Smell" should start by smelling the breakers in the circuit board and then work your way to smelling every single electrical outlet in the home including light fixtures on the ceiling. There's definitely something cooking somewhere and you'll find it. If not, then that's not good because you probably have an electrical wire cooking somewhere in the wall and that can cause a fire. Well, hope my story and advice will come in handy to someone out there with the same problem.


08:21AM | 01/26/14
Member Since: 01/14/14
85 lifetime posts
And fix that leaking wax ring in the other bathroom before it takes out the whole floor.
It's about a $5.00 or less part and some simple tools to change.
No plumber needed.


10:27AM | 09/26/14
OMG... thank u for your post! We as well thought it was a dead animal under my house. It ended up being the outlet next to my dresser 2 hot wires were running in it with 1 neutral and it could have started an electrical fire.We are in the process of updating our panel. We still cant believe it. Again thank you.


12:31AM | 06/14/15
Thank you! The kids room smelt so bad. I thought they had snuck something into the room and left it there to rot, or that something got into the window AC and died. After reading this I realized the window AC was plugged into the same outlet. I took the sleeping kids out of the room and unplugged everything from the outlet. This post could have prevented a disaster! I'm calling an electrition first thing tomorrow.


02:13AM | 01/09/16
Thank you so much for the post. All of a sudden a fishy smell in the hallway. When my Husband gave up, I went online and found your post. We could of had a fire if not for this post. It was an outlet. Funny thing the Electirian is coming tomorrow. What a blessing. Thank you again!


12:58PM | 01/14/16
When was the last time the women in your home saw a GYN??

Fishy smells and women go hand in hand


12:29PM | 01/16/16
Really? How old are you?


11:20PM | 03/15/16
Thank you so much for your post! I work at a hotel and we were having the worst time with a "fishy" smell in the lobby. After tearing EVERYTHING apart and cleaning, we still couldn't find anything. I never would have thought burning plastic or hot wire would smell like fish! It never even crossed my mind. It wasn't until coming across this post that we started inspecting all the electrical outlets. The culprit: a small space heater plugged in behind the desk! Upon removing the outlet, we found it had completely burned through, we just narrowly missed having a major electrical fire at the hotel!!!
Click_to_reply_button Inspiration_banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.



Post_new_button or Login_button

Newsletter_icon Flipboard-glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss_icon