We recently had the drain in our rather old house clog up. We called the plumbers and they snaked it for a few hundred bucks (they said it was the "main" sewage outlet that had to be snaked).
They then said that because its an old house, sewage buildup has narrowed the pipes over the years and we need to have this cleaned out else we'll have continual blockage problems. They said they would use a high pressure water jet to clear the pipes, then run a fiber optic camera down there to show that its clear (we can keep a copy of the tape). This will cost $1800.
We had a sewage backup back in 1998. At that time this same company said we should proactively snake the pipe every 2 years.
Has anyone heard of this? Are they just trying to take to the bank.
Save your money...."jetter-equipment" is very expensive both to buy and mantain. Most companies that own this equipment have given orders to their "technicians" to push the jetter-service as it is a big money-maker. Service the drain every few years with the appropriate size head on the end of the cable... and if roots are involved know that eventually you will have to replace the line. erik
water filter has turned my water nasty tasting
Water heater pressure relief question
block to slab foundation conversion??? kind of long
Addition over garage
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes