We recently had the drain in our rather old house clog up. We called the plumbers and they snaked it for a few hundred bucks (they said it was the "main" sewage outlet that had to be snaked).
They then said that because its an old house, sewage buildup has narrowed the pipes over the years and we need to have this cleaned out else we'll have continual blockage problems. They said they would use a high pressure water jet to clear the pipes, then run a fiber optic camera down there to show that its clear (we can keep a copy of the tape). This will cost $1800.
We had a sewage backup back in 1998. At that time this same company said we should proactively snake the pipe every 2 years.
Has anyone heard of this? Are they just trying to take to the bank.
Save your money...."jetter-equipment" is very expensive both to buy and mantain. Most companies that own this equipment have given orders to their "technicians" to push the jetter-service as it is a big money-maker. Service the drain every few years with the appropriate size head on the end of the cable... and if roots are involved know that eventually you will have to replace the line. erik
Water heater pressure relief question
water filter has turned my water nasty tasting
block to slab foundation conversion??? kind of long
shower pan on top of car decking?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects