We recently had the drain in our rather old house clog up. We called the plumbers and they snaked it for a few hundred bucks (they said it was the "main" sewage outlet that had to be snaked).
They then said that because its an old house, sewage buildup has narrowed the pipes over the years and we need to have this cleaned out else we'll have continual blockage problems. They said they would use a high pressure water jet to clear the pipes, then run a fiber optic camera down there to show that its clear (we can keep a copy of the tape). This will cost $1800.
We had a sewage backup back in 1998. At that time this same company said we should proactively snake the pipe every 2 years.
Has anyone heard of this? Are they just trying to take to the bank.
Save your money...."jetter-equipment" is very expensive both to buy and mantain. Most companies that own this equipment have given orders to their "technicians" to push the jetter-service as it is a big money-maker. Service the drain every few years with the appropriate size head on the end of the cable... and if roots are involved know that eventually you will have to replace the line. erik
water filter has turned my water nasty tasting
Water heater pressure relief question
block to slab foundation conversion??? kind of long
Addition over garage
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight