I hope someone can give me some direction.
I have a typical 2 story New England colonial with a septic system. I have 2 baths upstairs and 1 bath on the first floor. The master bath and the first floor bath are located in northwest corner of the house. I believe they tie in to the main drain pipe in that corner of the house. Also in the first floor bath is the washing machine. The main drain goes straight down into the basement and then exits the northeast corner of the house to the septic system in the front yard (east side of the house).
I keep finding water around the base of the first floor toilet.
The toilet tank and water line is not leaking. I decided then to replace the toilet wax ring. When the problem re-occurred, I took a look and saw that the toilet wax ring was not very well attached to the toilet horn. I then cleaned off the old wax ring and bought a new "wax-free" toilet ring. This is a device that glues with a rubber cement like glue to the toilet horn and then get pressed into drain as you mount the toilet. I am confident that there is a good connection between the new ring and the toilet.
While I was fixing the toilet, I noticed that water started to come up from the drain when someone flushed the toilet upstairs. In the past, I also noticed water filling up the toilet when the upstairs bath was draining and someone also flushed the toilet upstairs. I suspect what I am seeing is water that is coming up from the drain getting out around the first floor toilet ring and then flowing out from under the toilet.
Does this sound reasonable? If yes, what may be causing this? We have our septic pumped once per year.
What would cause a new hot water heater to not perfo...
Foul odors from bathroom
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes