Leave it to the environmentalist hippie-types to get people to screw up something as simple as using a toilet.
Back during the Earth Day fad about fifteen years ago, there were some "environmentalist" TV specials and PSA's advising people to not flush their toilets if they were only passing water ("taking a pee", "going number one") in order to save water. I started doing that two and a half years ago and found out the hard way that this is very bad advice. There are mineral salts in urine that will contribute to a gradual scale build-up in the drain passageway of the toilet bowl, and after a while, this will inhibit the swirling action necessary for a successful flush. The result after about two years will be a toilet that sometimes doesn't flush all the way, and if you keep up the offending behavior after that, it won't flush at all ever. At that point, either a plumber has to uninstall the toilet and take it outside to be treated with hydrochloric acid, or the unit must be replaced.
More bad hippie advice: Some of these PSA's were also telling people to put bricks in their toilet tanks to save water with each flush. What can happen when people do this is that pieces of the brick can chip off from water erosion and go down the flush valve, after which these pieces clog up the holes in in the bowl rim through which water must pass. This can also result in needing to replace a toilet.
"Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?"
"Why are *you* wearing that stupid man suit?"
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps