Leave it to the environmentalist hippie-types to get people to screw up something as simple as using a toilet.
Back during the Earth Day fad about fifteen years ago, there were some "environmentalist" TV specials and PSA's advising people to not flush their toilets if they were only passing water ("taking a pee", "going number one") in order to save water. I started doing that two and a half years ago and found out the hard way that this is very bad advice. There are mineral salts in urine that will contribute to a gradual scale build-up in the drain passageway of the toilet bowl, and after a while, this will inhibit the swirling action necessary for a successful flush. The result after about two years will be a toilet that sometimes doesn't flush all the way, and if you keep up the offending behavior after that, it won't flush at all ever. At that point, either a plumber has to uninstall the toilet and take it outside to be treated with hydrochloric acid, or the unit must be replaced.
More bad hippie advice: Some of these PSA's were also telling people to put bricks in their toilet tanks to save water with each flush. What can happen when people do this is that pieces of the brick can chip off from water erosion and go down the flush valve, after which these pieces clog up the holes in in the bowl rim through which water must pass. This can also result in needing to replace a toilet.
"Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?"
"Why are *you* wearing that stupid man suit?"
How do I choose laminate wood flooring?
cold baseboard radiators
Ask the Bob Vila Forum for help identifying the furn...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects