A buddy and I are developing a product that drops into a drain and does, well, stuff. We designed it for our tub drains which are about 1.25 inches deep from the lip at the top of the drain, down to the cross-member support, then 1.5 inch diamter across the top of the drain.
However, it does not seem that there is any standardizaiton of these features (only the outside pipe thread diameter is standardized). So my question, before my buddy and I start milling these things in my basement, is: 1) is 1.25 inch depth the norm, 2) do most drains contain this cross member support, 3)are most tub drains 1.5 to 1.375 inches inside diameter, and 4)are most drain inserts steel with nickle or chrome coating that may flake off (friction of our device on the inside drain surface could potentially flake off a drain surface that isn't really solid)?
I know this is a lot to ask, but I can't seem to get these questions answered elsewhere, and these are the primary questions preventing me from getting my little device into older homes...where I think its needed!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!