A buddy and I are developing a product that drops into a drain and does, well, stuff. We designed it for our tub drains which are about 1.25 inches deep from the lip at the top of the drain, down to the cross-member support, then 1.5 inch diamter across the top of the drain.
However, it does not seem that there is any standardizaiton of these features (only the outside pipe thread diameter is standardized). So my question, before my buddy and I start milling these things in my basement, is: 1) is 1.25 inch depth the norm, 2) do most drains contain this cross member support, 3)are most tub drains 1.5 to 1.375 inches inside diameter, and 4)are most drain inserts steel with nickle or chrome coating that may flake off (friction of our device on the inside drain surface could potentially flake off a drain surface that isn't really solid)?
I know this is a lot to ask, but I can't seem to get these questions answered elsewhere, and these are the primary questions preventing me from getting my little device into older homes...where I think its needed!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?