I noticed due to the new water closets and other low flow fixtures required in New York there is an increase of mosquitoes in the storm and sewer piping.
I would imagine that the less volume of water is not providing the proper scouring action that these pipes were designed to work with. I have also had to do more water jetting as the build up of grease deposits and soap scum has severely reduced piping diameter.
I am wondering if any research has taken place since it was mandated arbitrary to just reduce the volume of each discharge without taking into consideration the ramifications of just lowering the GPM flow? Video inspections have proven that due to the lack of proper scouring action that there is an increase of bugs and other parasites thriving inside the piping. With West Niles and other diseases becoming more rampant possibly one should consider a more active role in preventative maintenance of municipal and private waste removal.
For example the model codes do not want storm water to enter the sanitary systems thus what used to be cleaned periodically by heavy rain storms is just not happening. Granted the water treatment plants cannot handle the deluge of storm water entering the system but there has to be some medium to allow periodic scouring the sewer and waste lines. Rodding just is not going to clean these line and chemicals are being used to such an extent that many bacteria are now immune to chemical cleaning.
The public should be made aware that the local government cannot and /or will not address these problems.
The private sector should be more actively involved in teaching the populous on how to hire properly trained plumbing contractors as more now then ever it is the master plumbers who protect the health of the nations and prevention is much better then trying to find a cure.
Respectfully, Sylvan Tieger,LMP
Scott's Lawn Care service?
Dryer vent opinion - looking for Dan-o's expert opinion
Opinion needed on quote received...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips