I'm sure the answer to this is going to be "lots of hard work." But I am always hopeful. I live in a house built in the early 1900's. The staircase is the orginal wood, solid and extremely thick. It has been painted at least 4 times and every time, no primer. So of course, it is peeling off like a huge sunburn in some places. Same thing with the front door and the baseboard molding. Having lost an animal to chemical exposure, I am very hesistant about using a chemical stripper, which I know is the quickest way. I am also not sure about trying to take the stair case apart, I don't want to ruin it. I have used Ready Strip in the past, but you have to use so much of it and it is rather expensive. I am torn between peeling off what I can with a scraper, sanding, priming and painting or restoring it all to its natural beauty. Has anybody out there found a easy, non chemical way to do this?
I have much better way to strip a staircase-a story in about 4 afternoons- but it does involve using chemicals. A person must use a safe method, venting, etc. I am sorry to hear of your lost animal. In doing ap;prox 400 staircases, we have never hurt an animal. (but we did have one homeowner go skating down a staircase...A guy caught her.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!