I'm about to add treads and skirtboards to my stairs and new base board above and below stairs. My questions are:
1. What profile is typically used on the inside and outside skitboards for colonial style stairs? In some books I have it appears to be base cap molding but I'm not sure.
2. I'm having real difficulty deciding the base + skirtboard profile. My issues are -
Base board thickness should not be more than 1/2" since my door casings are 1/2" proud of wall.
I don't think I can safely make a housed skirtboard from 1/2" stock, can I?
If I make skirt 3/4" thick, what is the best way to transistion to thinner base?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers