I'm about to add treads and skirtboards to my stairs and new base board above and below stairs. My questions are:
1. What profile is typically used on the inside and outside skitboards for colonial style stairs? In some books I have it appears to be base cap molding but I'm not sure.
2. I'm having real difficulty deciding the base + skirtboard profile. My issues are -
Base board thickness should not be more than 1/2" since my door casings are 1/2" proud of wall.
I don't think I can safely make a housed skirtboard from 1/2" stock, can I?
If I make skirt 3/4" thick, what is the best way to transistion to thinner base?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!