I'm about to add treads and skirtboards to my stairs and new base board above and below stairs. My questions are:
1. What profile is typically used on the inside and outside skitboards for colonial style stairs? In some books I have it appears to be base cap molding but I'm not sure.
2. I'm having real difficulty deciding the base + skirtboard profile. My issues are -
Base board thickness should not be more than 1/2" since my door casings are 1/2" proud of wall.
I don't think I can safely make a housed skirtboard from 1/2" stock, can I?
If I make skirt 3/4" thick, what is the best way to transistion to thinner base?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight