I've read so many of these posts and still don't feel I got enough information one way or another about the saltless softeners - also I'm looking for a good whole house filter to filter out the usual contaminents and arsenic. Thoughts?
For me big question is health effects of hard water (20 grains or higher), otherwise best solution will be non-salt water conditioner not a salt base water softeners. Non-salt water conditioner still claim to protect appliance and your plumbing see example simply soft from Aquasana or Pelican which is using name softener. This is misleading simple test will show hardness will not be reduced by any of non-salt base systems magnesium and calcium will be still present in its original amount but with change structure of minerals to prevent build-up. I'd like to find some reliable source confirming hard water effect on health and reliable test by independent body to confirm effectiveness of non-salt water conditioners on appliance and plumbing.
I have installed magnets in three hotels. The last the "hardness" level was 1 prior to and we have raised it to 3 to save the copper pipes. Guess what? the sheets and towels are noticeably softer (as reported by our regular guests). Those of you who are foolish enough to state that magnets don't soften are either mentally blind or are seeing brown.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Pest, Be Gone! 10 Steps to a Critter-Free Home
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight