Under my basement floor my drain tiles collect water and directs it into my sump pit. My washing machine is also in my basement and the drain for the sink that the water from the washing machine goes into is also under my basement floor and is directed to the same sump pit as the ground water. The discharge pipe goes up and out to the village sewer. This is the way the house was built back in 1960 and is "grandfathered" in by village code.
I am going to purchase a brand new sump pump because the existing submerisable sump pump came with the house and is at least 10 years old.
The water table is high here(NW suburb of Chicago)and the seasonal water table makes my pump run about once an hour. With a few days of rain the pump could run every couple minutes depending on how many inches we get.
I was looking to purchase a Zoeller M53 1/3 hp sump pump. Is this the correct pump or should I be looking at sewage pumps because of the washing machine discharge? And is 1/3 hp enough power?
Also is Zoeller a dependable pump? I heard the Hydromatics had a real problem with switches a couple of years ago. What other pumps are a good brand?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them